No spoilers here, but we are very excited with the way the ceramic and sets are coming together. Here are some shots Gabe took and edited over the last couple days. I can’t wait to see filming begin on the full video, the test shots and mini films are better than I could have imagined.
Today was an incredibly productive day in the studio. After a reworking of the timeline on the film project and a remade list of things needed to be ready to shoot, it was time to get cracking. The first goal in terms of time and delivery for the piece is my midterm critique in March. For this critique I am planning to have all the figurines finished and the mini films that are internal to the world of the film.
Part of the reassessment of last week was to abandon the live action portions of the film. The logistics were nearly impossible and we were unsure if we could blend these two styles seamlessly, so it was decided the magic box films for the interior of each apartment would be filmed with ceramic. This meant that I needed several bears in a hurry, not only to have them made by the deadline, but early enough that their films could be made. I went back to techniques developed for teaching children to create a bear quickly and convincingly in a short amount of time. They also needed to stay within the style restraints of the rest of the figurines. The guiding principle here has been the doll house theme, so everything needs to be cute and a bit toy like.
while I built bears, Gabe has been focused on the audio portion of the project. He spent a good part of the day composing the theme for the Stone Woman. Part of this was to review the other existing parts of the sound track and ensure that when finished it will sound like a cohesive piece of music.
In addition to the soundtrack, he worked on the sound for the announcer bear’s voice and layering in the song for the bear party with that voice. A process that requires several different approaches to the original reading and then hours of listening and making slight adjustments.
Once this sound was acceptable we threw together a little bear party on the dirty table and made some quick proof of concept videos with the iPhones. Though neither the bears or the sound is finished, I am posting a couple of clips here. While the work is very rough and there is plenty of offensive language, it is worth sharing these because they are such a good look at our early process for video production.
We need about five of these mini films for the overall film, and production will begin as soon as squids and glazed and bears are painted.